Land: Enhancing Governance for Economic Development (LEGEND) is a new DFID global programme designed to mobilise knowledge and capacity for design and delivery of new country programmes, improve land governance as an essential and inclusive basis for economic development, and strengthen land and property rights at scale.
Through building policy coherence globally and stimulating innovation across civil society, private sector and sector at country and local levels, LEGEND aims to improve the quality and impact of land investments of all kinds so they contribute sustainably to growth while safeguarding rights and opportunities for poor people, rural and urban — and especially women.At the centre of LEGEND is a Core Land Support Team (CLST) comprising:
Leading land expertise from an alliance of research institutes:
- Overseas Development Institute (ODI);
- Natural Resources Institute (NRI — University of Greenwich)
- International Institute for Environment and Development (IIED);
Programme and finance management by KPMG;
- Additional technical expertise, 'how to' knowledge and policy support from US land consulting firms DAI and Cloudburst.
- ODI is leading the LEGEND Knowledge Management Alliance (IIED, NRI and ODI) with shared and complementary perspectives and combined skills set which embody a wide range of disciplines, experience and thematic knowledge on land.