Clash over Khas land in Bangladesh leaves one killed
Pirgong, Bangladesh - A young landless peasant was brutally killed in a landless territory called Zoykur at Pirgong, Thakurgoan district on July 3. Kamolakanto Kanu, member of the Joykur Peoples Organization which is facilitated by the Community Development Association (CDA) of Bangladesh, and ILC member. Kanu was brutally killed and 8 others were injured by local influential land grabbers. A certain Satu Ram and his group were trying to occupy the Khas land in Joykur village already occupied by Kanu’s group for the past 12 years. The land grabbers hit Kanu with a stick, leaving him dead on the spot and more than 8 others wounded, including women. Soon after the incident, police arrested 6 people, including Satu Ram, who is a suspect. Kanu left a widow who is 8 months pregnant.
CDA is assisting the Joykur People’s Organization to defend the interest of landless people and provide legal aid for Kanu’s family. CDA commends the heroic sacrifice of Kamolakanto Kanu and has declared July 3rd as Shohid Kamolakanto Kanu Day.
Source: Report from Community Development Association (CDA), Upa-Shahr, Block #1, Dinajpur-5200, Bangladesh
Phone # +88-0531-64428, E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Read more content like this
- Human rights defender under threat after relatives are killed in army attack over ancestral land
- Good News– Bangladesh: UK Accepts Complaint over Coal Mine
- Land purchase for Tata’s project leaves residents perturbed- Sri Lanka
- Killings of Brazil's indigenous Indians highlight tensions of land disputes
- Bangladesh: Ancestral Land Of Khiyang People Occupied By A Bengali Land Grabber In Bandarban