Centre for Development and Environment
CDE’s mission is to contribute to sustainable development in countries of the North, South, and East, through:
- research partnerships
- education and training
- development of concepts and tools
- raising awareness,
- policy advice.
CDE focuses on:
- management of natural resources,
- integrated regional development, and
- interventions that mitigate syndromes of global change.
CDE places special emphasis on:
- highland-lowland interactions, and on
- high-potential – low-potential
- centre – periphery relationships.
CDE employs disciplinary and transdisciplinary approaches. Linking analysis and synthesis, and combining high-end and low-end methods, such as GIS-based earth observation and participatory field-based approaches, are typical of our programmes.
CDE supports the principles of subsidiarity, empowerment and partnership, while acknowledging the importance of research, planning and decision-making at regional, national and international levels.