AGTER is an international association, created in 2005 under French law. AGTER works on the governance of land, water and natural resources.
- It was built on the basis of the experience of a worldwide network which had been working informally for many years (developing workshops within the World Social Forum in Porto Alegre - Brazil and organizing the World Forum on Agrarian Reform in 2004 in Valencia - Spain).
- AGTER was asked by FAO to prepare the second issue paper of the International Conference on Agrarian Reform and Rural Development (ICARRD) en 2006.
- AGTER is a member of the International Land Coalition from 2008. It carried out in 2009 the scoping study of the global research on Commercial Pressures on Land.
- AGTER prepared with the French Land Tenure and Development Technical Committee in 2010 a position paper on Large Scale Land appropriations which was used as the basis for the definition of the France's official position on this issue.
Based on its networks of persons and organizations, AGTER develops various spaces for discussion and reflection among distinct peoples and cultures, aiming at reinvigorating our collective thinking and learning from different (best and worst) experiences worldwide. The objective is to help partners and members to make proposals for renewed policies in order to address the considerable planetary challenges of the XXI century as far as the management of living beings, waters, and lands are concerned.
Therefore, AGTER develops, with the support of various Foundations (Fondation Charles Léopold Mayer pour le Progrès de l'Homme, Ford Foundation) :
- innovative pedagogic tools (including video documents), and mobile workshops, or learning journeys.
- a knowledge base, which conception and content are the result of the international thinking of AGTER's network (members and partners). This specific website is still under construction.
AGTER takes part in teaching and research conferences, Civil Society meetings, and organizes periodically thematic conferences on issues related with the governance of natural resources.